We are constantly pursuing ways to reduce our impact on the environment. The following goals guide our decision making:
Our actions include:
- Recycling all cardboard, plastic and glass as well as our food and coffee waste (spent coffee grounds from brewing and chaff from roasting).
- Reducing single use packaging where we can. For example, using reusable tins for our bulk coffee (instead of bags) and collapsible crates (instead of boxes) for deliveries, and reusable containers (instead of disposable ones) from our food suppliers.
- Ensuring our paper straws and compostable takeaway lids are available in our shops but not offered as a default.
- Repurposing green coffee jute and grain pro bags from our roastery.
- Using rechargeable batteries (where batteries are required).
- Offering a discount to customers using reusable cups.
- Offering Returnr bean canisters in all our shops as an alternative to our compostable coffee bags.
We do this by choosing efficient business practices: reducing business travel (by using technology to connect), working with local warehousing, and routinely working to reduce our energy consumption in our shops.
We have installed solar panels at our head office and roastery, and are working to become carbon neutral by the end of 2021.
Active steps we’ve taken to switch to better materials:
- Our coffee bags are made from renewable plant-based materials and are 60% compostable and biodegradable.
- Our take away paper cups and lids are compostable.
- Our iced coffee cups and lids are recyclable and compostable.
- For online orders, we use compostable satchels or recycled boxes, with paper tape where we can and compostable and recyclable stuffing.
- For wholesale orders, we use boxes that are made in Australia from at least 80% recycled material to ship our coffee around Australia. These are recyclable.
- We use environmentally friendly cleaning products .
The equipment we sell in our shops and on our website is what we use at home and have loved for many years. These items have stood the test of time and have been chosen because of their quality, durability and longevity. Wherever we can, we offer spare parts for these products to increase their usability and service life. We hope they remain in people’s homes, and are used regularly, for many years.Read more about our spare parts >
We actively encourage responsible waste management with our international and local suppliers, and try to work with them to find ways to do this. We also actively seek out suppliers that have similar values and share our environmental concerns, and are taking active steps to reduce their impact and do things better.Meet some of the people we work with >