Job Opening – Market Lane Coffee
Role – Graphic Designer (part time)
About Market Lane Coffee
At Market Lane, we put our hearts and souls into sourcing and roasting exceptional coffees that delight our customers every day. Our goal is to make great coffee accessible and exciting, and easy to brew and enjoy.
We have been roasting in Melbourne since 2009 and, from the beginning, we’ve been committed to quality, transparency, sustainability, and using business for good. These principles have a real impact on the way we buy coffee, the people we work with and how we run our business.
We have six coffee shops in Melbourne, and our roastery and Head Office is based in Brunswick East. We are currently recruiting for a Graphic Designer to join our Head Office team, to help bring our brand to life, both in our shops and online.
About this role
The primary focus of this role is to fulfil the diverse graphic design requirements of Market Lane, including the design and production of all digital assets and printed materials — supporting our website and digital communications, retail outlets, product packaging and collateral, marketing campaigns, and wholesale and education teams.
This role requires a strong understanding of Market Lane's brand aesthetic and style guidelines. In some cases, artwork will be created using Market Lane's existing design templates, but you will also be responsible for creating original designs, using brand guidelines.
We have a long and fantastic relationship with an external design agency and our new graphic designer will interact with them on bigger design projects, and will be supported in interpreting our existing brand guideline.
The role involves:
- Creating digital assets, including EDMS, banners and social media assets.
- Designing printed materials, including postcards, packaging, wrapping paper and promotional material, educational booklets
- Visual merchandising, including signage for our shops and and wholesale clients, decal / light box / poster designs for in-store marketing campaigns.
- Liaising with a number of people across the Market Lane team, and developing high quality design concepts to support their department needs.
- Working independently and organising time efficiently to complete tasks by given deadlines.
- Being a quick thinker with an eagle eye for detail! This is a multi-tasking role, operating in a fast-paced, team environment.
This Role Requires
- At least 2–3 years experience working in a Graphic Design role.
- Proven ability to conceptualise, design, plan and produce projects that span print, digital and campaign applications.
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual abilities with a proven understanding of all aspects of the production of graphics for print and digital media.
- High proficiency in using industry-standard design software applications, specifically the Adobe Creative Suite (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat), and a working knowledge of Office programs, template creation and working on a Mac.
- Multi-tasking and organisational skills, and a proven ability to schedule and prioritise workloads to meet deadlines, while working both as part of a team and autonomously.
- A capacity to intuitively gauge and translate marketing and communications needs into design outcomes that suit both print and digital applications.
- Highly developed time management and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated efficiency and creativity from concept through to output.
- Experience in the development of design solutions that embrace best practices within digital media. This will include content suitable for websites, social media, online campaigns and marketing collateral.
- A desire to produce design solutions that are environmentally conscious.
- Flawless finished art skills.
Additional Desired Skills
- Digital Photography and Editing
- Video direction, creation and/or editing skills
You might be the one, if:
- You are a senior graphic designer who doesn’t want to work full time, but is committed to leading a strong brand on a part time basis.
- You are a junior–mid level designer who has worked under a senior graphic designer for more than 2 years, and you’re looking to grow and take on more responsibility.
If you were here last week here are some of the things you might have done:
- Created design concepts and subsequent marketing collateral (print and digital assets) for coffee and merchandise products for our brick and mortar shops and digital marketplace.
- Designed and developed graphics to support our retail location environments, illustrative and information graphic material, and other visual communications within our retail locations. For example, a seasonal campaign such as our annual birthday sale, NAIDOC Week or a Christmas/holiday VM campaign.
- Designed and created a pamphlet (print and online) to bring to life our public training program.
- Liaised with Market Lane staff (including Senior Management, Digital Marketing Manager, and Production Manager) and external stakeholders (including design agency, artists, and/or printing partners, etc.) on design concepts and collateral.
- Prepared and managed finished art and production specs (gaining quotes from suppliers, completing electronic artwork and collecting files for output, determining quality and colour control standards are met, approving proofs, and ensuring delivery timeframes are met).
- Documented and archived all completed jobs appropriately.
- Contributed to and maintained the integrity of the Market Lane Coffee style guide across the organisation.
Job Specifics & Benefits
- We foresee this being a part-time position – around 2–3 days a week.
- Start Date: we’re ready when you are!
- This role offers the opportunity to work in an organisation that values quality and authenticity at all levels.
- Negotiable salary based on experience.
- Market Lane Coffee is an equal employment company and is committed to fair and equitable treatment for all employees and potential employees. We value and respect the diversity of our workforce, and we are committed to providing a supportive and healthy working environment that is free of unlawful discrimination, harassment and bullying.
Instructions to Apply
- Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please title your email "Graphic Designer”
- Include a CV and cover letter
- Please also include a portfolio with a small collection of your most successful works. Specifically, examples of campaigns, templates, and/or branding that extend to both print and digital applications.
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.